The Theory Behind it – Transformational Leadership
Our programmes are grounded in the the principles of Transformational Leadership
“Transformational leaders motivate followers to achieve performance beyond expectations by transforming followers’ attitudes, beliefs, and values, as opposed to simply gaining compliance”
(Bass, 1985; Yukl, 1999)
Transformational Leadership can be defined by the following seven behaviours (Hardy et al., 2010):
- Giving praise and recognition when it is due; being constructive with feedback; guiding followers to improve their performance.
- Recognising the uniqueness of each individual follower; treating them according to individual needs.
- Encouraging each follower to think for him/herself; challenging followers to solve problems by themselves.
- Inspiring and encouraging followers so they can, and want to, achieve their best.
- Encouraging each follower to want to work as part of a team, and towards shared team goals; putting team needs before ‘self’.
- Setting and exemplifying high standards; expecting the individual to always give maximum effort.
- Behaving in a consistently appropriate way that fosters the same behaviour amongst the followers; being beyond reproach.
Contact us to find out more about programmes for your students firstname.lastname@example.org